On Sunday, two men in the central province of Thanh Hoa died of multiple organ failure after eating what was mistakenly believed to be fried stinkbugs but turned out to be Cartharis Mylabris, a type of poisonous insects.
Cartharis Mylabris, a type of poisonous insects Photo: VnExpress
The deceased were a 59-year-old man named Thanh and a 70-year-old man.
Both suffered from stomachache, diarrhea, and nausea half an hour after eating the insects.
They were treated at Bach Mai Hospital in Hanoi.
According to local traditional medicine physicians, those who eat this insect can suffer from extreme pain in the stomach and gut and are likely to die within 24 hours.