Mother, three kids die after eating corn cak

Read the original news 

VietNam News English - 34 month(s) ago 6 readings

A 28-year-old mother and her three children have died after eating home-made corn cake in the northern mountainous province of Ha Giang.

HA GIANG —

The cake contained a type of fungus known as aflatoxin, which can contaminate grain before or during storage.

The mother died yesterday at the provincial General Hospital while her children, aged between 18 months and six years, died on Wednesday and Thursday.

Doctors said they exhibited symptoms of dizziness and vomiting blood.

Since 2008, a number of cases of aflatoxin poisoning have been reported in Ha Giang. The most serious instance occurred in 2008 when 26 people were poisoned and three family members were killed in Dong Van District. Corn is a staple food for Mong ethnic residents in Ha Giang.-VNS

There is no comment

Please Sign up or Login to comment.

Top page