Man burned while talking on phone at gas station
Read the original news
While talking on his cell phone at a Hanoi petrol station Hanoi yesterday, a man was severely burned by a flame that came from nowhere and engulfed him.
Vu Trong Khanh being treated at Saint Paul Hospital in Hanoi Photo: VietNamNet
The terrible incident occurred at about 7 pm, November 30, when Vu Trong Khanh, 34, of Hanoi’s Gia Lam District, stepped into the toilet of the station near Phu Dong Bridge, Long Bien District, to answer a phone call.
As soon as he began talking on the phone, a flame came out of nowhere and covered him, severely burning his head, face, arms and legs.
Khanh had come to the station to get vouchers of petrol, the station said.
People who witnessed the accident took Khanh to Saint Paul Hospital for emergency treatment.
Khanh suffered burns over 60 percent of his body, including respiratory burns, said Dr Nguyen Thong, head of the hospital’s burn department.
He was in a fatal condition and could hardly speak, Thong added.
“This is the first time the hospital has treated someone suffering from such an accident,” he said.
“A few studies have shown that high-frequency radio waves from a mobile phone in use can ignite gasoline vapors and cause a fire,” the doctor said.
Therefore, everyone should refrain from using their cell phones at gas stations to avoid similar awful accidents, he added.