Lecturers to quit if schools relocate

Read the original news 

VietnamNet English - 85 month(s) ago 12 readings

Lecturers to quit if schools relocate

VietNamNet Bridge – If universities are relocated to suburb areas, a lot of lecturers may give up their jobs, because travel expenses will strain their modest pay, a lecturer of the Hanoi Economics University said.

The lecturer has warned that if universities are forced to move to suburb areas, the schools will lose many qualified lecturers. He said that the current modest pay will not be able to persuade the lecturers

Currently, many talented people are still working as lecturers, because they love teaching and research. However, their love may have its limits.

With the current wages, it would take a university lecturer 100 years to save enough money to buy a car to travel the long distances to schools.

It is still unclear where the universities will move. However, people guess that it will be about 100 km from the center of the city, because the land fund in the areas within 30-40 km from the city center has been exhausted.

In other countries, big universities are all located far from the city centers. However, the convenient public transportation means that location is not a problem.

Meanwhile, in Vietnam traffic jams occur regularly. Meanwhile, the means of public transport, such as subway or high speed train, are not available. Therefore, it will be inconvenient and a waste of time for lecturers to travel so far.

University lecturers in economics, aged 40 and less, from can find a job at businesses which can offer them a high pay.

Therefore, experienced lecturers may leave schools, while only young and inexperienced will stay, because they do not have the opportunities to take extra jobs.

The income of university lecturers is surprisingly low.

With the average fixed salary of 750,000 dong a month, plus allowance and the income from extra teaching hours, a young lecturer gets 2-3 million dong a month. On average, a young lecturer teaches 200 hours per annum. In fact, some lecturers teach even 1000 hours a year, but only if they are in good health, have many students, and teach subjects which are in high demand.

With such a income, in order to buy a Daewoo Matiz, which costs 400 million dong, a lecturer would have to save money for 100 years.

In order to earn their living, many young lecturers have to take extra jobs. And it is clear that these bring them the income which is much higher than the income from their main teaching, job. In general, 10 percent of lecturers’ income of comes from universities, while the other 90 percent from extra jobs.

No qualified lecturer would spend hundreds of millions of dong to buy a car and travel a long distance just to get 10 percent of his income.

Meanwhile, the good and high paying jobs can only be found in the city centers. A well known lecturer can earnthree million dong a day for the teaching at MBA level,

Huong Giang

There is no comment

Please Sign up or Login to comment.

Top page