LONDON, Dec 12, 2010 (AFP) - Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez said Sunday he wanted to leave the English Premier League high-flyers as his relationship with "certain executives and individuals" at the club "has broken down beyond repair".
But City captain Tevez, in a statement issued by his agent Kia Joorabchian, stressed he had "no personal issue" with manager Roberto Mancini despite their seemingly fractious relationship, and thanked owner Sheikh Mansour for his "understanding and support".
(AFP FILES) Manchester City's Argentinian striker Carlos Tevez
It is understood that one of the people Tevez, who is reportedly homesick and looking for a move back to Argentina where his two daughters live, has fallen out with at Eastlands is City chief executive Garry Cook.
Earlier Sunday, City confirmed they had rejected a transfer request from the Argentina striker, who has scored 33 goals in 50 Premier League games since joining from arch-rivals Manchester United before the start of last season and who is not due to leave Eastlands until 2014.
However, Tevez appeared intent on departing, saying in his statement: "I can confirm I have handed a transfer request to the chairman of Manchester City Football Club.
"My feelings have not changed and it is regrettable that we have reached this situation," added the 26-year-old, who missed City's 3-1 win over bottom of the table West Ham on Saturday through suspension.
"But it is something I have felt for some time and have spent many hours thinking this through."
City's statement effectively singled out Iranian businessman Joorabchian, who retained the South American's registration until he joined City from United.
That arrangement had proved controversial when the forward first came to English football at West Ham, where he helped them stay up in 2007 despite claims the east Londoners had broken registration rules when taking him on loan.
However, Tevez insisted he was no-one's puppet, saying: "I hugely resent the management's suggestions that I have been unduly influenced by others."
And he indicated it was Joorabchian who had prevented him leaving City, currently second in the table, before the start of this season.
"I wanted to leave in the summer, but was convinced to return to the club. Sadly, my feelings have not changed.
"My relationship with certain executives and individuals at the club has broken down and is now beyond repair."
Tevez was seen arguing with Italian boss Mancini after being substituted having scored the only goal in City's 1-0 win over Bolton last week.
Nevertheless, Tevez said: "I wish to clarify that I have no personal issue with the manager Roberto Mancini."
Both Tevez and City have insisted he remains available for selection.
Bankrolled by Abu Dhabi-based Sheikh Mansour, City have spent big in a bid to end the club's wait for a first major trophy since 1976 and their statement reflected the sadness felt by Eastlands officials at Tevez's move.
"The club remains disappointed by this situation and particularly with the actions of Carlos's representative (Joorabchian).
"Roberto Mancini and all at the club have shown, and will continue to show, sensitivity to Carlos's personal circumstances including the issue of his family being based overseas.
"Indeed following his suspension as a result of the game against Bolton, Carlos requested, and was given, special dispensation by the manager to take leave overseas.
"Significantly, over recent months, the club has also received numerous requests from Carlos' representative to renegotiate and improve his playing contract as well as more recently a request to extend that contract by another year.
"However, in line with the club's policy of not negotiating playing contracts mid-season this has not been granted.
"Carlos's current five-year contract has three-and-a-half years to run and he is the highest paid player at Manchester City Football Club... The door remains open for Carlos to be selected to play."