Hanoi to investigate controversial land dispute

Read the original news 

Báo Dân Trí English - 4 month(s) ago 6 readings

Chairman of the Hanoi People's Committee, Nguyen Duc Chung has ordered an investigation into the use and management of a 59-ha land lot in My Duc District where local people are protesting an attempted reclamation.

Chairman of the Hanoi People's Committee, Nguyen Duc Chung has ordered an investigation into the use and management of a 59-ha land lot in My Duc District where local people are protesting an attempted reclamation.


Chairman of Hanoi People's Committee, Nguyen Duc Chung, speaks at a meeting with authorities in My Duc District's Dong Tam Commune on April 20

The investigation was announced at a meeting between the Hanoi chairman, representatives from the Ministry of Public Affairs, the Government Inspectorate, the National Assembly and officials of My Duc District's Dong Tam Commune on April 20.

"We have asked the Viettel Group to suspend their project during the investigation," Chung noted. "The results will be announced after 45 days."

It is said that local people in Dong Tam Commune had been invited to send their representatives to the meeting but none showed up.

Reporting to the city's leader about the problem in the area, Deputy chairman of the Dong Tam Commune People's Committee, Pham Hong Sy, said that the on-going land crisis here was "very serious and has greatly affected the lives of local people."

"The main gates to the villages and some main roads have been blocked by local people which are affecting travel and transport," Sy said. "We hope that the city's leaders persuade people to release the 20 officials being held and clear all the ways here."

In response, Chung asked Sy to announce to local people about an early meeting with the city's authorities, probably on April 21 or 22, and invite representatives of local people to attend.

Speaking at the meeting, the chairman said that he appreciated local people's well treat to the officials in custody. He called on people to release all the officials and prepare for a direct talk about the issue. He also promised to ensure safety for both local people and officials.

Speaking with Dantri / DTinews on Friday, a local in Dong Tam Commune, Bui Van Nhac said that he and many other people feel very happy after hearing that the city's chairman had come and decided to suspend the Viettel project and carry out the investigation.

Bui Van Nhac (left) said that he feels very happy after hearing that the city's chairman had come and decided to suspend the Viettel project and carry out the investigation.

"We've released one more official following the chairman's visit," Nhac said, adding that all the other held officials are being well-treated and would be released soon.

The local man said that they have only one wish, that was to make clear whether the land lot belongs to them or the Ministry of Defence.

“If the authorities say that the lot belong to the ministry, they need to present all necessary relating documents, then we'll be happy to give up."

Nhac also said that they've prepared for a meeting with the chairman due to be held on April 22.

There is no comment

Please Sign up or Login to comment.

Top page