The city would reserve land and funding for future development schemes, including those for hospitals and schools, stated Municipal People's Committee Chairman Nguyen The Thao yesterday on the last day of the fourth sitting of the Municipal Peoples' Council (the People's Council, the law-making body, appoints the chairman of the law-enforcing People's Committee).
| Elderly people queue for examination and treatment in Hanoi's Saint Paul Hospital. The city expects to ease the hospital overload by ratifying a healthcare scheme in which 15 new hospitals will be built by 2020. — VNA/VNS Photo Nguyen Khang |
Over the three day meeting, the council, following heated debates, ratified five schemes aimed at bolstering local industry, trade, agriculture, healthcare and education.
Under the healthcare scheme, the city will build 10 new hospitals by 2015, and 15 more by 2020.
The plan, which requires funding of VND43 trillion (USD2 billion), is expected to ease the hospital overload in inner cities and the shortage of medical workers and facilities at grassroots levels.
The city will also build nine satellite emergency aid centres in new urban areas, including My Dinh, North Thang Long, Hoa Lac, Thuong Tin and Soc Son.
Of the existing hospitals, 20 are slated for expansion or upgrading, at a cost of VND7 trillion ($333 million).
A network of non-public hospitals with 6,000 beds is also in the pipeline.
The city will prioritise hospitals with 100 per cent foreign investment and private medical services using hi-tech and environmentally friendly facilities.
The city currently has 40 hospitals with more than 8,000 beds along with 29 healthcare centres operating at district level.
Some deputies were concerned that the 10 new hospital target would be hard to reach unless specific measures were taken. They also suggested a more effective distribution of hospitals in the region and additional land for long-term purposes.
Chairman Thao promised that the city would strive to ensure everybody enjoyed quality medical services and international standard medical research hubs in its satellite towns.
The city also confirmed that an education action plan would be put into practice, with more schools and teacher training priorities.
In terms of agricultural development, Thao said the city would develop urban and ecologically-based agriculture, which turns out high-yield and high-quality commodities while ensuring sustainable environment.
Advanced technology will be applied in slaughter houses and industrial processing to cater for domestic and export demand, and the city will prepare financial resources and incentive policies, including those for land consolidation.
For industry, the city is looking to focus on hi-tech industrial sectors, such as information technology, electronics and medical facilities.
Under its trade growth plan, Hanoi will strive to maintain its role as a national commercial, service and tourism hub while developing modern goods distribution channels.
Thao told the meeting that the city's land fund would be able to meet the demand for all five schemes and financing had been calculated based on the local budget balance.
Speaking to the press, Thao said the local budget would make up only 10 percent to pay for plans on economic development such as agriculture, industry and service. That sum would be enough to support infrastructure improvement, while the remaining 90 percent must be rallied from independent sponsors.
For social development plans, specifically healthcare and education, the majority of funding or 65 percent would come from the city's budget.
"The city will work out incentive policies to mobilise finance from independent sources," Thao said.