37-year-old Nguyen Thi Tam, of the town’s An Phu Ward, died yesterday after she and the 10 other victims were taken to Cho Ray Hospital at 5 pm on April 7.
The most seriously injured victim of the blast, Tam received burns over 87 percent of her body, doctors said.
The accident occurred on Saturday afternoon in room no. 16 of a rented house owned by Le Thi Mai Huong, at 204/2 Quarter 1B in the town’s An Phu Ward.
31-year-old Le Minh Viet Anh, a native of Dong Thap Province, who rented the room, and his wife, 28-year-old Pham Thi Mai Hau were transferring the gas from a 12-kg cylinder into mini gas cylinders when the fuel leaked from the big cylinder and spread through the room and into some others nearby.
The gas then caught fire from an oven and caused a powerful explosion, throwing the couple out of their room while the flames rapidly spread out to other rooms.
A woman whose husband was severely burnt in the fire sits in worry in Cho Ray Hospital (Photo: Tuoi Tre)
The couple and 9 other victims, aged 19-41, were later to taken to the hospital.
The local fire brigade was called to the scene to extinguish the fire.
Police examined the scene and seized the two 12-kg cylinders that had exploded, three mini gas cylinders, and some tools the couple had used for the fuel extraction.
Tam and his wife worked as hawkers of fried fish balls and they used the small cylinders of gas to fuel their portable oven.
Doctors at Cho Ray said most of the 10 remaining victims were in critical condition. They include Truong Thi My Nuong, 19; Lam Ngoc Diem, 26; Tang Hoa Mong, 31; Luyen Huu Hanh, 41; Le Minh Viet Anh, 31; Pham Thi Mai Hau, 28; Le Thi Mai Huong, 34; Tran Thi Tiet, 28; Truong Van Ho, 41; and Do Van Thanh, 27.