Garment surplus hits $6.5 billion

Read the original news 

Báo Đầu Tư English - 30 month(s) ago 2 readings

Garment surplus hits $6.5 billion

The textile and garment sector posted an export surplus of $6.5 billion in 2011, $1.5 billion higher than last year's figure, according to the Vietnam Textile and Apparel Association (Vitas).

The textile and garment sector posted an export surplus of $6.5 billion in 2011, $1.5 billion higher than last year's figure, according to the Vietnam Textile and Apparel Association (Vitas).

The surplus has brought the industry's localisation ratio – the percentage of materials used by textile and garment companies that are produced locally – to 48 per cent. In spite of high inflation, the country's garment exports to key markets experienced significant growth, such as Japan (52 per cent), the EU (41 per cent) and the US (14 per cent).

Le Tien Truong, Vitas' vice chairman, attributed growth in the sector to well-conducted market forecasts, efficient investment and production and growing efforts by exporters to win the trust of international partners.

However, experts suggested the industry should reduce dependence on imports. Greater production of raw materials in the future would help the industry meet major export contracts and reduce business risks due to fluctuations in raw material prices in the world market, they said.

It should also gradually evolve from contract manufactures to original design manufacturers (ODM) to increase value and win more FOB (Free on Board) orders from foreign clients, they said.

By the year-end, ODM contracts earned the sector just $800 million, accounting for 5 per cent of its total export turnover, Vitas said, adding that the industry aimed to raise the ratio to 15 per cent in 2015 and 20 per cent in 2020.

Despite hidden challenges globally, the sector has targeted a $15 billion export turnover in 2012, a surge of 12 per cent against last year's figure.

There is no comment

Please Sign up or Login to comment.

Top page