Several parts of a house more than a hundred years old in Hanoi was completely burnt Monday after a room used to maintain the altar for worship caught fire.
The three-storey house on Hang Bac Street was home to several families, local newswire Vnexpress reported.
No one was hurt because most residents were not in when the fire caught, and one senior citizen was pulled out in time.
Firefighters arrived at the scene in 20 minutes, but the fire had spread very rapidly as the house was made of wood and the air was dry.
The fire burnt down the section that 87-year-old Ngoc’s family lived in, and also destroyed most of furniture of Huong’s family above. Ngoc’s son living next door pulled him out in time. In effect, the building has lost one of its three stories to the fire.
According to eyewitnesses, the fire started from the altar room of Que’s family living above Ngoc’s.
Historian Duong Trung Quoc said the house is the oldest in Hanoi based on ITS structure. It is tubular in shape with tiled roofs. It has a built up area of 206 square meters and a path 1.4 meters wide that runs from the front door through to the back of the house.
Most old houses in Hanoi are in degraded condition and at high risk of catching fire, authorities have warned.
Source: Thanh Nien