VGP – Thua Thien-Hue Province has just announced the technical assistance project of “Integrated Management of Lagoon Activities” sponsored by the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) with the total capital of US $495,793.
The project goal is to “Improve the livelihoods of the people dependent on the lagoon system in Thua Thien Hue by promoting a participatory sustainable management of the hydro-biological resources in the lagoons, in accordance with the socio-economic and production systems requirements of the population and with particular emphasis on gender roles, the achievement of food.”
It aims to achieve its goal through the “Development and implementation of an integrated lagoonal management plan built through stakeholder consensus, that balances the sustainable use of the lagoon resources with the livelihoods and needs of the resource users”.
The project have six outputs, namely,
1. The biological and physical issues affecting the Thu Thien Lagoon are described and understood
2. Policy & regulatory aspects of aquatic resources use are identified and addressed to support integrated management;
3. Capacity building of Provincial institutions (DOFI, DOSTE, DONRE, DPI, DOLISA, DARD) to generate and manage information relating to decision making the integrated management of Thu Thien Lagoon;
4. Improved understanding and demonstrated action responding to the socioeconomic and livelihood issues of lagoon resources users;
5. An integrated lagoon management plan developed through a process of dialogue and participation with lagoon users and stakeholders; and
6. Coordination and liaison with other organizations to build awareness of the integrated management plan and IMOLA activities.
By Thùy Dung