Dormitory building blazes up, hundreds blocked inside
Read the original news
A fire blazed up today afternoon at the 17-storey dormitory building Hacinco in Hanoi’s Thanh Xuan District, leaving hundreds of students being trapped inside for dense columns of smoke before the local fire fighting unit put the flame out and evacuated people inside.
Smoke rises up from the Hacinco dormitory in Hanoi Photo: Tuoi Tre
A witness said the fire started at 3:20pm from the third floor of the building and smoke quickly rose up high to cover the whole space inside. Smoke forced hundreds of students and officers getting eyes burnt and unable to leave it except running up to high floors.
Children of a kindergarten located on the second floor of the building were safely evacuated. No human loss was reported.
Fifteen minutes later, police and eight fire fighting vehicles arrived at the scene. They broke windows of the building to emit smoke and extinguished the flame.
At 5:00pm, the fire was totally put out but the smoke kept on rising up high inside the dormitory.
Only a foreign female student became unconscious and hospitalized later.