The death toll from illicit liquor in the eastern Indian state of West Bengal rose to at least 63 people, mostly dirt poor rickshaw pullers and laborers, while 80 others were struggling for their lives, reported local media Thursday.
In reaction, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee said the government was contemplating demolition of illegal liquor dens, said Indo-Asian News Service.
Four people have been arrested for supplying the liquor, known as moonshine, in Sangrampur village in the South 24-Parganas district. Magrahat is 52 km from Kolkata.
A district health official said the victims died of cardio- respiratory failure due to methyl poisoning.
The ill have been admitted to the Diamond Harbor Hospital, health centers and nursing homes. Some have been shifted to Kolkata.
The incident occurred when the villagers consumed country liquor Tuesday night in dens near Sangrampur railway station.
They later started vomiting, had loose motions and complained of serious stomach pain.
Illicit liquor sales are common in Indian villages, where poor people who cannot afford alcohol products buy those made of industrial chemicals.