Former French President Jacques Chirac said he would not appeal the verdict made earlier on Thursday which gave him a two-year suspended sentence for corruption.
The 79-year-old former leader said though he "categorically" contested the verdict, he would not appeal.
| Photo: Internet |
He admitted that it was up to himself to take responsibility, but "above all, I affirm with honor: I cannot be blamed for anything."
The former head of state had been the mayor of Paris from 1977 to 1995 before he served as the French president from 1995 to 2007. He was accused of creating fake jobs at Paris City Hall for friends and political allies, using his power first to win control of the French right and then to make his bid for the presidency.
The trial made him the first former French president facing charges in court.
Chirac said the verdict had inflicted pain and profound sadness, but he had no necessary strength to lead before new judges the combat for the truth.
"I leave (judgment) to my countrymen who know who I am: an honest man who never had any other desire or motivation than the unity of the French people, the greatness of France, and action in favor of peace," he stressed.
Chirac did not show up in court to hear the verdict because of his unfavorable health conditions. His lawyers produced a neurologist's report, showing that he suffers from memory lapses.
The allegations first rose when he served as French president and was immune from prosecution under French law. The trial finally went ahead in September after years of delays.