The controversy continues over rights to air the national football championship, V-League, on television after the inspection department of the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism rejected an appeal from the Viet Nam Professional Football JSC (VPF) for V-League television rights on Wednesday.
HA NOI —
The head department Vu Xuan Thanh confirmed that the appeal from VPF was not accepted.
Last month, the inspectorate confirmed the legality of the proposed 20-year contract between the Viet Nam Football Federation (VFF) and cable TV provider Audio Vision Global (AVG).
Following the appeal, VPF asked the inspection department to review the validity of the V-League television rights, signed between the VFF and AVG in 2010.
VPF said that the 20-year deal was too long and it needed to adjust the duration down to a three-year term, while the deal price must be increased every year.
It is expected that VPF will send its appeal to the minister of Culture, Sports and Tourism and higher ranking agencies.
"We appreciated the concessions from AVG in negotiations of the TV rights with TV agencies. However, the deal must be reasonable," said VPF chairman Vo Quoc Thang.
"We will consult all 14 V-League and V-League 1 teams, who are shareholders of VPF, after receiving the conclusion of the inspection department," Thang said.
The national football championship has been a money-spinner for the VFF since 2004, when Viet Nam Television paid VND4 billion (US$200,000) to broadcast the V-League.
Under the deal, the VFF and its sponsors take 40 per cent of the fees, while the two participating teams share the remainder. The host team takes 40 per cent and the visiting team 20 per cent. — VNS